The following departments are accepting public records request through this portal:
- City Attorney
- City Auditor
- City Clerk
- City Council
- City Manager's Office (includes Neighborhood Services, Animal Services, Code Enforcement, Office of Economic Development)
- City Mayor’s Office
- Fire Department
- Health, Human and Community Services
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Parks, Recreation and Waterfront
- Planning and Development
- Police Department
- Police Accountability Board
- Public Works
- Rent Board
SUBMITTING GENERAL REQUEST (Don't know the Department)
Submit general requests to City Clerk, they will review the request and submit to the correct City Department
REQUEST FOR MULTIPLE DEPARTMENTS
If your Public Records request requires documents from more than one departments, please list department in body for your PRA. Submit multi-department PRA requests to City Attorney, who will assign the request to all applicable departments.
INCLUDING DOCUMENTS WITH REQUESTS
If you would like to include a document with your request you can upload it to the request after the request has been submitted.
You are not required to include any contact information with a request, however if you submit an anonymous request you will not receive updates about your request or be able to log in to access documents. The only way you will be able to receive responsive documents is if the department posts them publicly on the portal or if you contact the department directly. If the department needs clarification on your request and has no way to contact you your request may be closed out without a response.
- This portal is for public records requests for the City of Berkeley California only.
- Records Requests on this portal are public. We suggest that you do not include confidential information such as birth dates or Social Security numbers.
- Requesters’ information is not published on this portal; however, this information is public and may be released in response to a public records request.
- Once you submit your request, you will receive email notifications regarding the status of your request. If you are not receiving the email notifications, check your spam/junk folder.
- You can also log in to NextRequest (https://Cityofberkeley.nextrequest.com/users/sign_in) and search for your request.
- You are not required to include a City department when submitting a request, however if you know the department, select it from the drop down list. City Staff will assign PRA to appropriate department as necessary.